Friday, September 16, 2011

Austerity Without Anxiety: “Just make the jam last longer.”

I wouldn’t usually buy apricot jam from Unger’s Market because the store is all the way across town and a Valu-Mart - loaded with jams and marmalades - is located 250 meters from my front porch.

My wife frequents the market, however, because it’s close to her mother’s apartment and the two ladies often do their shopping together now that my wife’s mother has given up driving. (She’s 90 years old. Not a bad move).

Though I wouldn’t buy it (or travel across town for groceries unless assisting someone else), when I see jam in my fridge I will eat it.


["Just make it last a long time.": photo GH]

I consider the small jar of expensive jam a treat and in order to make it last a long, long, long time (e.g., more than a month), I’ll enjoy it once or twice a week only. And when I do, I’ll just spread a wee bit on toast.

Some might say to me, “Tell your wife to resist the temptation to buy expensive jams. Tell her to save her money and live by more frugal standards.”

News flash. We’ve been married 41 years even though we’re opposites in many ways. (That might have been part of the attraction when we met in 1969)

As well, I know when to keep my mouth shut - trust me on that one.

And I also know how to get good value out of a pricey jar of jam. Opposites or not, I can live an austere live without anxiety. That’s the goal around here, isn’t it?

***

Please click here for more Austerity Without Anxiety.

.

2 comments:

Terri & Angela said...

It is a wise man who knows when to stay silent. No wonder you have been married so long! Congrats on an enduring marriage, and a fine jar of jam!

G. Harrison said...

Thanks for your visit and comment.

As you say, "it takes a wise man (etc.)..." and I'm slowly getting there! I think women are wiser at a younger age, and men slowly catch up, only to find the women have grown wiser still!

: ) GH