Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Fun and Fitness: “North Americans eat dessert for breakfast”


I’m still reading and riding regularly on my exercise bike and trying to stay fit so I don’t look like the oldest guy on the ice during twice-weekly hockey games.

And as of the end of last week, I have earned over 410 bonus miles as I aim for at least 100 miles per week of pedalling.

This morning I have made a solemn pledge to hit 110 miles this week because I just had dessert for breakfast. Heavy on the calories.

The bagel that tastes like a sticky bun with crushed pecans on top caught me unawares. Our rye bread looked a little stale (that doesn’t usually stop me but the crusts felt like iron) so I popped two halves of a bagel - already sliced - into our toaster while brewing coffee.


["Will my plan to burn off extra calories work?": photos GH]

Pop. Up came the bagel, and while applying PB and banana I grew aware of sticky goo and pecans.

What? This isn’t a bagel, I thought. It’s dessert. No wonder North Americans are getting wider by the minute. No wonder the most popular size of Levis is XXL Regular Wide Load.

I hope an extra 10 miles and this afternoon’s game will burn the extra calories.

Will my plan work? And what’s with dessert for breakfast? How is that working out for us?

***

Please click here for more Fun and Fitness.

.

No comments: