Tuesday, September 27, 2011

This Old Economist: A reader makes a good suggestion

Yesterday I wrote a short piece entitled “Household debt will crush many dreams” to emphasize that not enough Canadians are are buying into my mantra - reduce spending, pay down debt, save money for tough times ahead.

I listed a few financial numbers regarding Canadian household debt, e,g, ‘though national net worth rose by 1.2%, fewer home owners can afford their assets.’

I summarized with the following astute observation:

This would be a good time to look for a small house close to mass transit.

Then I asked, what recommendation would you make?

A reader said...

Small house with large garden in a small town near a bigger city near a water way. HMMMM........St Thomas, Pt Stanley?


Mass transit will be $$$ as well as your gas dollars and I do not credit city planners with enough foresight to keep mass transit running.


So I believe in better relations with neighbours.



["Will a smaller lifestyle in a small town be all-together healthier?": photo GH]

Thot: Maybe with better neighbourhood relations, fences will come down and cooperative backyard gardens will flourish.

I like the reader’s idea re small town life in which mass transit is not as important.

I wrote:

Anonymous, very interesting comment. I grew up in a small town and liked the close relationships that developed. I'm sure the same would happen today.



Today I'm spoiled - I live inside a small village, i.e., Wortley Village, inside London, w a bus stop 80 meters from my porch, and all the groceries and hardware I need less than 2 min. away by bicycle. 

I don't know if there is a small town in Ontario that could pry me loose. But your suggestions are still excellent.

 GH


Is small town living the way to go, with good relationships with neighbour to keep open doors when tough times roll?

***

Please click here for more from This Old Economist.

.

No comments: