Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Life on the Edge PT2

7:58 a.m.

I would have arrived sooner but I brewed coffee, shot and editted a few photos of a very old slab of BC cedar and said good morning to my wife before sitting down.

The coffee - again, surprisingly delicious.

Yesterday I revealed the photo below and asked, “How many years of growth (approx.) will be seen in my 8-inch wide fireplace mantel?”


[“I count about 30 growth rings per inch.”]

The question proved too tough for readers. No one offered an answer. (Was it too early in the a.m.?) Tough for me too. I lost count three times, had to start again, then noticed the growth rings were tighter at the other end of the 8-inch slice, as seen below.


[“Fifty rings per inch, and the wood is darker.”]

Yesterday I asked a second question as well. “If the cedar had a diameter of 4 feet, approximately how old was it when it fell, or was felled?”


[“24 in. radius x 40 yr. per inch = 960 years old. Amazing!”]

And where did I get the slice? From Philmore Enterprises (small specialty lumber yard), located at the corner of Sarnia Gravel Rd. and Hyde Park Rd.

I paid $50 for a 7 ft. long slab (planed) and learned valuable lessons.

Ancient woods are beautiful.


[“One slab is all I needed.”: photos GH]

Ancient trees should be harvested sparingly.

Reforestation must be an important part of the lumber business.

Can you think of others?

***

Please click here to read PT1 Life on the Edge.

.

No comments: