Friday, May 30, 2014

East Coast

I'm Counting Down

["I've done some math"]

I'm twelve days away from lift off. I haven't packed my bags yet - that's a last minute affair - but my bottle of TUMS is now out of the bathroom cabinet and sitting atop my dresser - nearer my backpack. And I've done some math.

The minimum distance I will travel, to the East Coast and back, is a touch over 4,500 kilometres. However, with the odd detour for lunch, occasional side trip for a scenic view or easy run along the old Trans-Can, and some 'extra yardage' (I get lost from time to time), I'll do many more Ks, say 4,800 in all.

The cost of gasoline, after several careful mathematical computations including Venn diagrams and a base price of $1.40/L, comes out to $350. What with Venn diagrams and that extra yardage, however, I'll say $400. And accommodation (for 13 of 17 nights I'm booked at hostels and Airbnb sites) comes in at $479, say $480. I bear in mind accommodation will run much, much higher if my sister in PEI and son in Fenelon Falls decide to charge me market price for my stay under their roof. Hey, it could happen!

As long as I cook most of my own meals where possible and don't eat and drink the priciest items on restaurant menus when I do indulge myself (e.g., at Isaac's Way in Fredericton; the pork tenderloin en jus d'apricot est sooperb!), I shouldn't break the bank.

Maps filed, motorcycle tuned, piggy bank money counted and rolled. East Coast is looking good at the moment.

Photos from East Coast 2010

 ["The unsinkable S.S. Silver Walnut before final
paint and three coats of spar varnish"]

 [June 10, 2010 at 10:44 A.M. 
"I've left Trois Riviere, and facing NE toward Riviere du Loup. Dark skies!"]

 ["11:18 A.M. June 10. Still on my way to du Loup. No rain yet"]

 ["11:49 A.M. June 10. Skies clear along south shore of St. Lawrence R."]



["Three shots on Highway132 near Kamouraska. No rain that day"]

["Front door of hostel in Riviere du Loup. Beautiful spot!"]

["Front hall of hostel. My room is just up the stairs."]

["I'm in walking shorts and shoes, ready to shop for supper"]

Link to East Coast

Photos by GH

No comments: