Thursday, March 10, 2011

The Workshop: The artful eye?

Instead of ‘The artful eye’ I could write ‘Things that I like.’

Or, to suit my rambling style, ‘Stuff I see in the workshop that catches me eye, makes me pause for a sec and ask the question, did I leave the cap off the glue bottle?’




Six birdhouses are underway, and will one day be somewhat reminiscent of a St. John’s (NFLD) streetscape, hopefully.

Every piece is from rescued lumber; white cedar tongue and groove leftover from my house reno, louvres from closets doors found curbside last summer, pine from a friend's old futon frame.






Very few scraps I find don’t pass muster for some use or another. The more window or door trim I require, the more wee bits are needed.

And if some wee bit doesn’t make the cut, it feeds an aromatic fire in the backyard, as long as an adjacent neighbour doesn’t have laundry on the line.

Even the scrap box is 'rescued'. As soon as I saw it at Good Will Industries, two or three summers ago, I liked it.

The artful eye. Things that I like. Stuff.

***

Please click here to see more from The Workshop.

.

No comments: