Thursday, April 10, 2014

Strikes Me Funny: "pass the beans and weenies!"

Do you get certain food cravings that unexpectedly poke you in the stomach on occasion? Do you have one that makes you detour from your route home so you can pick up certain items at a grocery store before supper?

I've got one, the roots of which go back to the 109th running of the Boston Marathon, April, 2005.



A day after the race my wife and I toured downtown Boston and after a healthy 'walk about' we found ourselves at Cheers Restaurant for lunch. I ordered a burger along with beans and wieners because I felt a gaping hole where my stomach used to be. As I recall, once the food arrived, the burger disappeared in 30 seconds or less and I was very glad I'd ordered beans, which sat before me in a large mug, silver spoon included.

They were fabulous. So satisfying. So satisfying in fact that I ate wieners and beans - almost exclusively - for three weeks after our return home to Canada. By the pound. I felt I couldn't get enough.



Recently, after a workout at The Club, the gaping hole returned. Since then it's been "pass the beans and weenies!"

Warning: Don't stand in my way when I'm hungry.

More Strikes Me Funny

Photos GH


  

No comments: