Thursday, April 17, 2014

The Workshop: "odd jobs"

I might be onto something. And then again...

Shop Project Detour Number 1

While in Fenelon Falls last weekend I drove over to Handley Lumber to pick up 'gray-on-both-sides' barn board and was told to come back in an hour. They'd 'bin busy'.

No problem. I can handle free time. Off to a great flea market/antique store I did go - just blocks away -  and saw something weird, maybe wonderful. After a bit of thinking ("This could be something. This could be...") I bought a tall CD cabinet made from well-aged knotty pine, not because I saw it as a suitable place to store excess CDs but because, after sanding and painting, it could be a pretty groovy six-plex for small songbirds who like communal living on somebody's back deck. Maybe even mine. But we'll see.

[I took it apart; it's now ready to paint"]

So that's a future 'off the beaten path' shop project you'll hear more about in the future. CD Cabinet Commune.

Shop Project Detour Number 2

"I'll come over and check it out, after lunch on Monday," I said to Mrs. King.

She wanted either a birdhouse repair or a new model because a furry buzzhead of a squirrel had done significant damage to the four-plex I'd repaired two times in the past. And when I saw the damage I came to a quick conclusion.


["They ate the front door and went through the wall!"]

"I want to fix it. I could sell you another one but your squirrels might make quick work of it too."

I like odd jobs, fixer-uppers, challenges, and the possibility of defeating a squirrel, even a nasty gang of them, turns my crank.

This type of redo could very likely keep me busy (and motivated) in the shop until I'm 100 years old. Rebuild & Repel Rodents! 

Stay tuned.


Photos GH 

No comments: