Tuesday, June 28, 2011

The Culture of Big: Could our fridge be half the size?

I’m so used to BIG I don’t even notice it at times.

I grew up in a family of seven, including both parental units, and we had a fridge that was smaller than the one just my wife and I share today.


Really, if we didn’t have company over for Thanksgiving and Christmas we could probably get by with a fridge half the size 99 per cent of the time. A grocery store is less than two blocks away and I’ve heard that they’ll store food for us - even freeze it at their own expense - until we actually need it.

Of course, after living with the culture of big since the 1940s, my wife and I are quite used to filling our big fridge with more food items than we typically need for a week.


["Can I live without giant bottles of chipotle sauce?": photos GH]

We’d have to make several adjustments if we shifted to a smaller fridge.

For example:

we would have to live life to the fullest without the enjoyment of 42 condiments (at last count)

we would have to plan our meals better and just buy what is needed when needed

we would have to do with one veggie crisper rather than two and still work hard to keep stuff alive until needed

we would have to find some other use for 60 - 70 small glass or plastic containers we usually stuff with leftovers

Because we can usually form new habits within 2 weeks, a smaller fridge would likely pay for itself in 6 months or less.

The question is, can I live without the gallon size bottle of chipotle BBQ sauce?

***

The answer is yes. It brings no real pleasure.

Please click here for more about the culture of big.

.

No comments: