Saturday, June 25, 2011

Fun and Fitness: Approaching a new New Record

For the last week or two I’ve been reading two good books while riding my exercise bike so the miles have been adding up quite nicely.

Between June 6 - 12 I completed 110 miles, 10 more than my weekly goal, and my extra miles (collected over the last 3 years or more) then totaled 379.


I dropped two miles the following week. I was probably tired after sucking back tons of fresh air after a motorcycle ride on June 19. 15 miles. So sad.


However, I set a new New Record tonight. With 97 miles already behind me this week, I just finished a quick 20 mile ride, bringing my extra mile total to 394. NR. So sweet.

In a million years you’ll never guess what book I was reading while sweating it out tonight. It was a used book re the 200 - year old history of garbage collection in New York City. Fresh Kills Mountain, a pile so big it was visible from space and was the tallest mound on the eastern seaboard for many years, is world famous. And it stunk to high heaven.


[“Fresh Kills - on a good day”: photo link]

On a clear day people living in the Bronx could see the stuff they threw out just the week before.

“Hey, there’s my old shoes. Alice! Who said you could throw them out?”

Fun and fitness and Fresh Kills. They go together? Yup.

***

Please click here for something else with a bad smell.

.

No comments: