Tuesday, October 12, 2010

It Strikes Me Funny: Nature sells. Why bury it?

Recently, while this grumpy old economist was reading the August 14 issue of The Economist, I swam across an article entitled Cue The Fish.

(Remember, anyone with a wallet and 3 pieces of ID can be an economist. Join me in the shallow end at any time.)

Main point. Nature sells.


["Hawk Cliff Rd., leading to - of all things - a cliff that hawks cruise past": photo GH]

E.g., nature programming is one of the best businesses in media. Discovery Comm. made a profit of $372 million in the 2nd quarter of this year.

Knowing this, new burbs pop up in every direction on the furthest fringes of Deforest City and other sprawling burgs with lovely, all-new and all-natural sounding names.

For example:

Partridge Run - where partridges used to run.

Orchard Park, Lane, Drive, Meadows, etc. - where an orchard or - better yet - an orchard and meadow once stood.

Want to document the natural settings that have been buried for the sake of single-family homes? Document the names of recently planted suburbs.

The name ‘Fiddler’s Green’ got up someone else’s nose a while ago.

At rabble.ca I read the following:

“I think London, Ontario probably has the most pretentious new street names. Perhaps the most grating to me is "Fiddler's Green". Ain't no Fiddler. Ain't no green.”

Yes, but it’s so lyrical and natural. Almost sweet.

However, it leads me to ask, if nature sells so well, why bury it?

***

I think answered my own question: Because it sells so well.

Have any names of suburbs flown up your nose?

(Thot: a new series of posts entitled Up Your Nose!

I’m on it).

Visit This Old Economist here.

Visit more It Strikes Me Funny here.

.

No comments: