Monday, October 4, 2010

Success! A grand-father’s book is found

While I busied myself looking at books inside the research room of Canada’s War Museum in Ottawa, my wife did some snooping of her own.

With great success I must say.


[“The Horse in War,” by Lieut.-Col. D.S. Tamblyn: photos PH/GH]

More than once I reached for my camera and saw her with it, focussing on pictures and text from her grand-father’s book about the horses that were pressed into service during WW1.


[“Snookums beat the odds and survived WW1”]


[“Snookums retired to Brussels, Belgium”]


[“About 256,000 horses were lost by British forces alone”]


[“About 56,000 were lost in battle, the rest by exposure to harsh conditions”]


My wife thinks we have a copy of the book here at home - somewhere.

The hunt begins. I’m hoping for more success.

.

2 comments:

Liz said...

Oh, wow. That's fabulous!

G. Harrison said...

Hi Liz,

If we find the book I'm sure I'll read it in one sitting. Right up my alley, at the moment.

Cheers,

GH