Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Thrifty Soup: And it’s not even soup - but it's something

My wife was out of the house at lunch time yesterday so I poked my head into the fridge - all by myself - to see what I could see.

I’m a pretty good scrounger and easily pleased when I'm quite hungry and my eyes settled on a covered dish with something red inside.


["My, such a refreshing flavour": photos GH]

Hmmm, soup, I said. Excellent.

So I pulled the dish out of the fridge, grabbed a soup bowl, then looked under the cover.

It saw diced tomatoes.


["Diced tomatoes from another angle - still refreshing"]

I’ll add some Spanish onion and it will be my lunch, I said. And I bet it will be better for me than a can of Campbell’s tomato soup.

Tell you the truth - it tasted quite good and I still bet it was better for me.

Thrifty soup, eh?

***

Have you ever heated up canned tomatoes for lunch?

Did you dress it up?

These days, it’s important to be thrifty!

.

2 comments:

lanniedee said...

I make Mom's soup recipe, remember start with a lb. of hamburger and add everything but the kitchen sink? And I made Pat's soup Saturday, with the tomatoes, onions, green pepper and zucchini, but then add 6 bean salad and extra stuff..but even more thrifty was last night's supper of my own homegrown turnip and potatoes that I planted myself..now that's thrifty..love L.Dee

G. Harrison said...

Hi LD,

Mom used to leave her big soup pot on the back porch, maybe no room in the fridge. I recall she put a brick on the lid to keep the critters out of it. Hope they did!! Would she tell us??

You could make soup all winter w food from your garden. Well done.

G