Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Motorcycle Miles Pt 3: A world-renowned mulberry tree

I zipped up my leather coat, making sure four air-vent-zips were tight as well.

But before warming up the bike I took my camera out of my back pocket and walked toward a metal sign post.


I was happy to see that a particular tree was still standing and marked in such a way that people - including bird-watchers from the four corners of the world - would notice.


Perhaps because I’d first read the sign and noticed the tree years ago I purchased two slabs of the same kind of wood a year ago and adorned my house with them.


Rare, I may have thought at the time of purchase. Like me, I may have added - as humbly as all get out.

The paper mulberry is rotting at the core and few branches bear leaves, but it’s still hanging in there.


How long will it survive? Longer than we might expect, in my opinion.

Trees are fighters.


[“This slab was an odd shade of green when purchased”: photos GH]

Plus, if slabs of it are sold after it falls, then the old mulberry tree may survive past its years on someone’s back deck.

***

Please click here to read Motorcycle Miles Pt 2.

.

No comments: