Saturday, October 2, 2010

The last five shots at the National Gallery

I think there are at least 350 rooms inside the National Gallery and to get from one to the other you usually step through a wide but shallow doorway or space.

Occasionally the space between rooms is 12 - 15 feet long, and on my first trip through such a long space I spied a porthole.


Accustomed to stopping and staring at and taking prohibited photos of valuable pieces of art, I stopped and stared at the porthole.

What is it? I asked myself. A piece of contemporary art perhaps?

I stepped closer to the round shape.


No, the porthole only provided a view of the inner workings of the gallery’s air-conditioning system, but the effect was as brilliant as the skeleton of the white plastic lawn chair whale hung from the ceiling of a room I’d visited a short time back.

I looked to my left. No security guard.


["The third shot. Brilliant lines. Shimmering colours": photos GH]

I looked to my right. A person looked at me curiously, saw my camera, then moved on before I could take their picture.

I took three quick pictures before leaving the building and gazing at the Center Block of the Canadian Parliament Buildings.




Have you ever seen a more beautiful group of buildings?

How about a more brilliant air-conditioning system?

If you have, I beg to differ!

I mean, look at them pipes, would ya!!

.

2 comments:

Jane said...

It was the Dada movement that first found the beauty in functional things and believed that everything that was manufactured could have both function AND beauty. I think the talent of a photographer is in his/her ability to find the right angle and depth in order to display the beauty of any object.

Course that could all be horse pucky!

G. Harrison said...

Ha ha!

Horse pucky, eh, Jane? Let me think about that one for a sec.

If asked, did I get more enjoyment from viewing the inside of the air-conditioning system or Jackson Pollock's bazillion-dollar-study of three colours (all found in the flag of Texas), I'd have to go with the brilliant, but lower-priced a/c innards.

Function and beauty. No horse pucky in the air!

Cheers,

Gord