Friday, September 13, 2019

Mr. Snapper and a Pit Stop.

Port Bruce Retrospective September 2017.

I stop at a bridge to look for a large snapping turtle. Yup, he was home!

A nice piece of the countryside SE of London.

One mile north of New Sarum Diner and No. 3 Highway (south of Belmont), there is an east-west side road that soon crosses a wee bridge if one travels east on it. I think it is Edgeware Rd.

Curiosity caused me to stop on the first couple of occasions, as I wanted to look under the bridge to see if there were any mud swallow nests. And there were a few, but one day I spotted something even more interesting.

I was surprised and delighted. I had not seen a snapping turtle of such a size in many, many years!



Okay, this spot just became my favourite little pit stop!!


I had a second camera in my pocket. Not bad. He's not moving!

I am just east of the highway that goes south one mile to No. 3 Highway

I have returned to that spot several times and never again got such good photos of the mysterious and elusive Mr. Snapper.

Photos of my main pit stop over the last ten years of motorcycling follow:

Port Bruce 2017














 My 1994 Yamaha is third from left.

1994 Yamaha Virago 1100cc, first on left.

I will not be travelling as frequently to my two favourite pit stops in the future. I am on the verge of selling my bike and getting off the busy highways and side roads in order to provide time for further adventures in some other form.

I will miss the bike to be sure, but I will revisit favourite destinations - w cameras in hand - and post photos here.

Stay tuned.

Please link to Paul and Ollie at Port Bruce. Go For the BLTs, Stay for a Swim.

Photos GH

No comments: