Friday, April 15, 2011

Bits and Pieces: Debate - the smartest animal trick

[Crows Have Human-Like Intelligence, Author Says

Crows make tools, play tricks on each other, and caw among kin in a dialect all their own.

These are just some of the signs presented in a recent book that point to an unexpected similarity between the wise birds and humans. - National Geographic News]


After filling the bird feeder with seed this afternoon, and while digging in the garden, a forlorn mewing sound caught my attention.


["Be prepared. Carry a pellet gun": photo of GH circa 1952]

It seemed to be coming from behind my tall blue spruce tree. Concerned, I walked around the tree. And there, atop a fence rail, lay a black squirrel, looking very troubled.

“Hey, what’s wrong with you?” I asked. It didn’t scurry off. It watched me warily but continued to cry.

Maybe it’s hungry, I thought. But because squirrels had raided my feeder all winter, whilst keeping birds at bay, I felt little sympathy toward it.

Like crows, squirrels are smart enough to get their own food year round without my help. I shushed the squirrel and returned to my digging.

As soon as I reached my shovel I noticed my bird feeder - freshly loaded with seed - was missing from the back deck. Three black bushy tails disappeared over the side fence, along with a burlap sack large enough to hold the missing feeder. I swear one critter carried a crow bar.

I quickly turned to look over my shoulder. The crying squirrel flicked its tail and was gone.

Stink! Tricked again.

***

Please click here for more Bits and Pieces.

.

No comments: