Saturday, April 30, 2011

It Strikes Me Funny: Decluttering. I’m doomed.

My most recent column in The Londoner, ‘Without firm rules, my decluttering days will be short-lived,’ mentions a discussion I had with friend Don, followed by a setback.

Don read the article and emailed today with fresh perspective, hoping to help.

Gord:

On my way to the dump this morning, I noticed an easel that looked awfully familiar and then on second glance a toboggan leaning against the wall and a golf cart nearby. All three were precious possessions I clung on to for years and then donated to the church for their sale three weeks ago.

They are available today at the follow-up sale and I am sure will resurface again somewhere in London.

My point ... it is quite humbling when your possessions have little or no value to anyone else... kind of puts things in perspective.

Don


["Don tried to pawn off the Doobies": photo GH]

I replied as follows:

"I could use a good golf cart."

Above is the first thought that went through my mind after reading your email. I'm doomed.

You shared an excellent perspective. I must learn more from you, wise sage.

Gord


Don replied almost immediately:

Read this quote and then immediately think of a golf cart ...

"For a moment of night we have a glimpse of ourselves and of our world, islanded in a stream of stars - pilgrims of mortality, voyaging between horizons across eternal seas of space and time."
 
Henry Beston 1928

Don

I read the quote. I replied:

I need golf balls too.

***

Yes, I’m doomed.

Please click here to read more about decluttering adventures.

.

No comments: