Monday, August 4, 2014

Zoom w a View

Woodpecker Attack!

["The woodpecker spots the entrance to a bee tunnel"]

An unidentified woodpecker is drilling holes in a softwood board above a shed door in my yard. I think it's hoping to find Mason or Carpenter bees, their larvae, pollen caches, maybe more.

Happy hunting, I say. I'll replace the board with western cedar - easy kap-easy - and make a display piece out of the beaten up softwood board. I bet some folks will enjoy seeing the work of 'drilling bees'.

 ["The lawn is getting beat up by skunks, The Annex
by 'driller bees' and a determined woodpecker"]

 ["Do you know the type of woodpecker at work here?"]

 ["The bird spotted sawdust on a birdhouse roof.
Above the dust, a perfectly round hole"]

 ["The hole is directly above the sawdust"]

 ["The woodpecker is drilling a series of holes in search of a meal"]

 ["One determined bird"]

["I think the close-up reveals holes on the inside surface
of the same board. Escape routes for bees?"]

["A squirrel - w a bird's eye view - shows me that my shed is
not the only place woodpeckers have been at work"]

When I stepped outside to get a close up the woodpecker took off like a shot.

Fortunately it returned for Part 2, The Video.

Link to YouTube video of this happy hunter

Link to Zoom w a View

Photos GH

No comments: