Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Bird Watching: San Diego Chicken - 1, Downy Woodpecker - no score

The two feeders on the back deck were swamped today at about noon.

Male and female cardinals ruled the roost until chickadees, juncos, and sparrows arrived by the dozen.




One morning dove made an appearance, as did one timid, female Downy woodpecker. While reaching for my camera she disappeared, much to my chagrin.


[Female Downy woodpecker from great photo site]

However, though I scored zero points with the woodpecker, I think I deserve one point for scoring a clear shot of the San Diego Chicken.


["Does that not look like The Chicken to you?" photos GH]

I know The Chicken started out as a child here in London, Ontario, but I didn’t know he had retired to a tree in my backyard.

Bonus!

***

More Bird Watching here.

.

2 comments:

Jess said...

What a lovely community you have in your backyard. I still just have ... sparrows!

G. Harrison said...

hi jess,

i wish my photos were clearer but I'm generally shooting through two panes of glass. i must come up w a better way.

i think the new feeder is a better size, my new seed mix is a hit, and the spruce trees provide perfect shelter. so, not bad.

how to get rid of sparrows? my dad set traps, i.e., birdhouses that locked upon entry. maybe a new feeder design is in order. i'll put my mind to it.

so, is the big move upcoming? in 2020, i hope.

cheers,

GH