Sunday, December 19, 2010

My Memoirs: And I’m Not Even Dead Yet

My Memoirs: And I’m Not Even Dead Yet

Foreword


Many of the books I own have Forewords.

The first one I selected from the closet in my computer room (Whisky: The Water of Life - Uisge Beatha, by Helen Arthur) has a Foreword written by Charles Maclean and it begins as follows:

“Nearly twice as many books about whisky have been published in English since 1990 than were published between 1645 and 1970; seventy-two titles in this decade, so far as I can ascertain, as opposed to the thirty-eight in the previous two and a quarter centuries. Is there room for yet another whisky book?”

Good grief, I say. Enough.

Will Mr. Maclean next list all 72 titles or say twice as many books were printed in German?

Few people would want to know.

And that’s the chance a writer takes when the Foreword to their new book is written by someone else.


["Authentic adventures - I was there": GH circa 1953]

Good thing I caught that. The last thing I want is for Charles Maclean or someone I know to ask, is there room for yet another book of memoirs?

Because I say yes, and I don’t want anyone to have any doubt about it.

For example, Bill Bryson’s latest book, ‘The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid - A Memoir,’ is definitely worth the price of admission, i.e., $9.99, and if I can get it for less by waiting until after Christmas, then so be it.

With those thoughts in mind I have written my own Foreword.

I am uniquely qualified to write my memoirs at this time because I am of clear mind and sound judgement.

Little that I say will embarrass any living member of my family. Odds are slim any will even buy this book or read as far as page 92, where I mention a few juicy bits about my four siblings.

My hale and hearty adventures in life bear an authentic ring because I was there. About my Lester B. Pearson story: I sat right beside him in a blue convertible. Ken Dryden: I stood beside him and asked him to autograph my leather hockey helmet. The Queen Mother: She bore a striking resemblance to my grandmother. Prince Charles: Not so much.

My writing style is fairly easy to understand and, according to my computer’s spell-checking software, I spell most words correctly, Canadian-style.

I have known the author of this hefty book my entire life and am looking forward to reading what I have to say for myself. You should too.

If even a few of my many readers are inspired to write their own memoirs for the enjoyment of others (or to embarrass their family because of some unresolved issue) I will be fully rewarded for my efforts here.

***

GH will honestly attempt to add to his memoirs on a weekly or twice-weekly basis.

Please read the Introduction to My Memoirs here.

.

No comments: