Thursday, December 16, 2010

This Old Economist: Regular exercise better than shopping

I scored the first goal in yesterday’s 50-plus hockey game after stabbing at my own rebound. Brilliant.

Thanks to 100-plus miles per week on my exercise bike (I even have 230 bonus miles, in case I should go away for two whole weeks), my legs are like those of a spring chicken.

I.e., an old spring chicken. Deep-fried. Spicy.


I’ll give you one good reason why regular exercise is better than shopping.

Consumer debt is high (as high as ever, in a formidable sense) in Canada, home of almost as many sturdy hockey players as shopping fanatics. Some fanatics will lose their homes when interest rates rise and cheap money ain’t so cheap anymore. (Greedy monkeys!)

“Cheap money is not a long-term growth strategy,” said Bank of Canada governor M. Carney on Monday.

Sorry, I lied earlier. I’ll give you two reasons.

Ontario’s debt is through the roof.

Three. Canada’s debt is through the same roof.

Four. US debt is just plain scary high.

Five. Canada’s economy is very strongly tied to the US economy, at the moment on the brim of a large turlet.

Six. What ever happened to Greece and Ireland?

Seven. How about them Leafs, eh!

So, about that exercise.

Get out there. A nice, long walk everyday will do fine. Just not in a big box store.

***

More of This Old Economist here.

.

No comments: