Tuesday, December 7, 2010

The Workshop: Rescued lumber to the rescue

After digging Chunnel A to my shop yesterday - Chunnel B requires attention in 10 minutes - I finished trimming a batch of eight sturdy birdhouses.


["Yesterday, after much shovelling, I reached the workshop door": photos GH]

One-inch red cedar was used for faces. Three-quarter inch white cedar for two side roofs. One-inch red pine for the base. Painted cedar strips for trim. All rescued lumber.

All fun to work with too, as far as I am concerned, and that’s what counts when I need something to keep my hands busy after a morning of pecking away on the computer keyboard.

Whenever I cut, sand or assemble a piece of rescued lumber my mind goes back to where or when I found or received it. Time spent reviewing pleasant memories enriches every shop experience. Rescued lumber (its feel, its aroma, and so on) rescues me from what could be a mundane task at times.


Some builders, bakers, candle-stick makers (etc.) will say, “This project was built with love.”

This birdhouse maker says, “My projects take me back to dozens of generous people, to curbsides, old barns, the Bracebridge recycling center (with a later side trip to the Griffin Pub on Main St.), Dorchester landfill site, and other weird and wonderful places.”


Someone might ask, “But where’s the love?”

Hey. Don’t go getting all mushy. It’s just wood.

But it’s good wood, and filled with interesting memories.

***

More from The Workshop here.

.

No comments: