Wednesday, December 1, 2010

It Strikes Me Funny: Men are from Mars

(I’ve heard that women are from farther away than that).

A lunchroom habit, practiced for many years at Aberdeen P.S., has come home to roost with the intended humorous affect.

In a crowded staffroom/lunchroom, I’d usually get someone to bite whenever I used the microwave.


["22 seconds is perfect for a breakfast treat. Coming up": photos GH]

“Let’s see. I’ve got leftover Irish stew today. 47 seconds is perfect,” I’d say.

I’d enter 47 seconds onto the microwave timer and press ON.

“What’s with 47, Harrison?” someone would ask.

“Irish stew. Only 47 seconds will do. Never heard that?” I’d say.

Eventually, everyone was in on the running (lame) joke, so I’d have to transfer out or come up with new material.

Now, as a retired guy, I do the same at home.

This morning - my wife was nearby - I leaned over the microwave with breakfast in my hand.

“Let’s see. Day-old muffin with cold butter. 22 seconds is perfect.”

“How do you know?” she asked.


["And sometimes I even get it right!"]

“Day-old muffin, maybe two. 22 seconds will always do,” I recited with a practiced tone.

“Never heard of that?” I asked.

Silence. Her eyes rolled.

Ahh, lovely. Still crazy after all these years.

***

It’s winter.

Call the fashion police.

.

No comments: