Thursday, December 31, 2009

2010: ‘Glam’ and other uncool words not to live by

(Because glam is just not sensible).

If you frequently use the words bling, glam or luxe as you’re speaking to people about your plans for 2010 I’m going to have to ask you to stop.

Oh, I can hear your reactions now:

“But I need bling in my kitchen to make me feel alive!”

“Hey, I was just about to glam up my dining room and a dark corner in my basement!”

“If I can’t luxe up my living room, entry way and my high cheek bones then I can’t be me!”


I will respond this way:

“Get ahead of the curve, Blingo. It’s time to buy yourself a pair of sensible shoes.”

Read the article in today’s London Free Press entitled ‘Consumers keep grip on wallets’ and you’ll learn the following:

- Ever since the economic downturn began in the fall of 2008, consumers have stopped spending, and despite signs the recovery is underway, people might not rush out to the shops in 2010.

- "Our recovery is going to be pretty lethargic," said Warren Jestin, chief economist for Scotiabank.

- Don Drummond, chief economist for the Toronto-Dominion Bank, says Canadian and American households are saving about 4% of their income, which should leave enough cash for some consumer spending, but not much.

Yup, sounds like the end of the road for bling, glam and luxe.


[“You didn’t say bling, did you?”: link to photo site]

Now, about those sensible shoes.

I suggest a pair of sturdy leather walking shoes that will last you ten years and never go out of style.

I also suggest you practice saying ‘why, that’s just not sensible’ when a family member or friend tells you they’re going to buy some bling or glam on credit to - supposedly - dress up their fireplace mantel or a nook in their house.


And practice your best ‘you should reduce spending, pay down debt and save money for tough times ahead’ facial expression whenever you’re told to luxe any part of your home or body.

We’ll all be the better for it in the new age of austerity.

***

Any other words we should rid from our vocabulary?

.

No comments: