Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Travel around the world? I don’t think so.

My sister posted on Facebook today that she joined or plans to follow some group that wants to check off 100 things on a list and travel around the world.

Then she asked, “What would you like to do?”

Well, I figure if everybody plans to go around the world then I’ll do something different, so I said I’d like to see more of Ontario by bicycle, motorcycle or on foot. Less gas needed.


["Main St., Thessalon": photos GAH]

I’d travel the north shore of lake Superior again at the drop of a hat, get my hair cut in Thessalon (if the guy is open), then scoot across the street and have butternut squash soup again with the 70 - 80 year old Slovakian woman who runs the cafe.


(It was delicious. “Would you like some more,” she asked. “Yes, please,” I said. Gosh, she was a nice lady. She told me she made the lace curtains on the windows of her cafe).

If I was 70 - 80 years old I’d see if I could buy the barber shop, sell birdhouses and break for lunch same time everyday.

And let the world come to me.

***

We can’t all go around the world.

Let’s go to places closer to home and see what’s there, with our eyes wide open.

.

2 comments:

Lost Motorcyclist said...

You echo my own thoughts. Several months ago I wrote a blog or two about "staycations" near to my home in Kitchener.

G. Harrison said...

Hi Lost,

Staycations make sense to me; yes, they're more affordable, doable, but exploring our surroundings on a deeper level seems to be the way to go.

GAH