Friday, December 25, 2009

Saddened (What? Not one flake of snow?), but not for long

Yesterday morning I was saddened by news about the weather: London will be green for Christmas.

But my frown turned to a grin in a matter of hours.

I braved the Christmas shopping hordes before noon, list in hand (I checked it twice) and returned victorious. By 3 p.m. I stood in the living room of my house, arms stretched to the ceiling, and proclaimed, “I am that guy!”


["The only snowflakes are on this bottle of winter beer": photo GAH]

(Some of you will know the guy I am talking about. The one in a TV ad (Scotiabank?) who is told by a bank employee he did right by his money, even though his wife doesn’t think he has. He rips off his outer shirt. On his under shirt are written the words - I was right! He raises his arms high. Yes!)

I was that guy. Done. Right.

This morning, when I stepped outside, I noticed there was not a flake of snow on the ground or in the air. Instead, a few drops of rain were falling, and freezing, making the walking treacherous.

Freshly saddened, I took a few snaps. Then sanded the front steps.

My wish for 18 inches of snow has not been realized but now it’s forgotten.

It’s Christmas Day. A day filled with family, friends, feelings of deep thankfulness and dreams of a better future.

Merry Christmas to all.

.

No comments: